Sunday, January 2, 2011

How To Do It

My entire educational philosophy can be traced to a short instructional video I first saw in the 1970s:



Around :50 "Alan" explains how to play the flute. For 20 years or so I laughed at the obvious joke about how simplistic morning shows or Expert Village can be on complicated subjects, but recently, when I started to think about how to present a quick Calculus course, another level of interpretation opened up.

Now, just as often, I have to admit Alan's genius: that really is how to play the flute. There's nothing untrue about his statement, and as advanced as you get playing the flute, you're still going to be blowing there and moving your fingers up and down here.

My attitude towards math is equally simplistic, and hopefully equally applicable as far as a student advances in Calculus. You look for patterns in numbers, and extend them. Just as Mozart and others wrote music down to help people play the flute, mathematicians and scientists have come up with ingenious tools to help us solve number puzzles.

The video never did tell us how to split an atom. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment